Saturday, April 9, 2011

Songs

Twinkle, twinkle little star!
How I wonder what you are?
Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are?

Donde esta la luna? (Where is the moon?)
Allah esta la luna. (The moon is over there.)
Comiendo aceituna. No me quieres da. (Eating olives. You don’t want to give.)
Me pongo a llorar. Bien pajarito me hace callar. Shhhh…. (I make myself cry. Good little bird makes me quiet.)

These two songs have become quite important in my mission. And, I never would have expected to sing especially these two songs because I do not like to sing in front of anyone. For example, I have always avoided singing in church unless it was the mandatory parts like the Lamb of God or the Gloria. Other church-goers would give me the hymnals to participate more fully in the Mass and yet, I kindly gave them back. I said that I don’t sing. Friends have even tried to get me to sing in the Mass and every time, they are unsuccessful. They said that singing was another way to pray. I responded that I would pray extra during the week to make up for not singing during the Mass. These are the ways that I have avoided singing in my life. However, I learned that these methods no longer work. Kids love songs especially if there are hand movements to go with a particular song.

So, I started to embrace the fact that singing was going to be part of my daily life with the kids that I work with. And, it is absolutely amazing the effects of these two songs on the kids. One by one, each kid starts to calm down. There is less shouting and sometimes, less crying. The song, Donde esta la luna, changes the atmosphere of the dining room before eating breakfast, lunch or dinner. They sing the song very loudly at first and then, little by little they are lowering their voices. Soon, they are quiet and ready to pray before receiving their food. Then, they begin to eat and there is quietness in the house.

3 comments:

  1. It's Clare's brand of Music therapy! ;) haha. I'm so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Clare. I can see you and hear you singing with the kids. What a blessing and gift for the kids and you-the gift of Song. I am grateful I was able to witness this first hand. Your description brings me back-and with a smile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sing twinkle twinkle to my nephew, and he sometimes sings it back to me with a mix between twinkle twinkle and holy holy holy - so cute! thanks for sharing clare!! so glad you're singing :)

    ReplyDelete