Monday, May 10, 2010

Tanta Pobreza

As I walk through the streets of Cochabamba, I am witnessing a different type of lifestyle. There are old men who are just sitting outside and watching people walk past them. There are people who are waiting for the buses to arrive and take them somewhere. There are indigenous women selling fresh fruit and vegetables. They wear a knee-length skirt which is blue, pink, green or another color. There are also two very long braids in the back of their heads. Open spaces transform themselves into an area for a lunch break. The whole business world stops for an hour as the workers replenish their body with food.
As I continue my journey throughout the city, there are other images that present themselves to me. There is an overwhelming amount of women and children selling stuffed animals, candy and gum, cigarettes, fake flowers, and water to anyone who is willing to make eye contact with them. They sell during the day and night in order to make their lives a little bit better. There are number of older indigenous women and men who hold their hands open to receive money from any who pass by them. With their hands open, there is a hope within their eyes that someone is going to give them money. There are glue-sniffers. They sniff glue and become high from the smell.
With these images ever embedded in my mind, the question is how does one escape from being a witness to this poverty? Is it as simple as closing my eyes? Do I listen to my I-Pod which drowns out the plea for money? Do I cross the street in order to avoid the older woman asking for money? Should I use sunglasses so I literally do not see the poverty? Do I pretend not to understand Spanish? Do I stay in my room and not venture out into the city? I am so confused in how to act in these situations. I want to give money or purchase something but then does it really help to solve the problem. Is their quality of life being improved with the act of buying something? I don’t know. Then, how I do help when I am surrounded by so much poverty? I wish that I had an answer, but I can always ask questions.

2 comments:

  1. Clare, it is always good to check in on your time in mission. It is good to know that you are out and about, active and engaged in the reality surrounding you.

    Let me know if you ever figure out an answer to being a witness to poverty. There was an article from a leading Franciscan scholar regarding the witness of poverty (name and reference elude me at the moment). He said that one of the core charisms of a Franciscan is to make poverty visible. You have a unique opportunity to take those images and blog them to a listening world to help them begin to see the reality of life where you are.

    Here in the US, we just completed a returned missioner retreat in Colorado - 31 returned missioners came, sharing their stories of mission, adjusting to life in the US, and integrating mission into the US landscape. One missioner from "Class 1" as well as the crew just returned from Bolivia were present - all in all, 20 years of FMS. You were in our prayers and thoughts. Be well and know God's peace.
    Fr George Corrigan, OFM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions, Clare. They challenges us all. We need to hear them and ask them again and again. At different seasons, our answers may change. I think the biggest problem comes when we stop asking the questions. I appreciate all that you are offering those of us in your own reflection. Peace, Clare.

    ReplyDelete