Saturday, March 13, 2010

Typhoid Fever

Yes, it is true. I had typhoid fever. The doctor in my family confirmed it. This was probably the worst pain that I had ever felt in my life. At various times, I would be freezing cold and then I would be blistering hot. When I was hot, I was sweating through my clothes and using a fan in an attempt to cool me off. Aspirin could not break the fever. I had aching pains in every part of my body. These pains went deep into my bones. It hurt every time I would walk or getting dressed in the morning. I felt nauseous. I did not want to eat anything because the smell was horrible. I was dehydrated even though I was drinking water. It was impossible to think or do anything because I had no energy. I still have no idea how I received it.
I was and continue to be humbled by this moment. In my moment of sickness, I was completely out of my element. In the United States, I know how to treat my diseases and what type of support that I want. Here in Bolivia, I had absolutely no idea what to do. I did not know a doctor or even how to schedule an appointment. I did not know what type of medicine to take or how to obtain medicine. I did not know what type of food that would help, not harm my condition. I was completely helpless. The best thing that I could do was to tell my abuela. She would have the answers that I was seeking.
In sharing information about my health, I learned about community. My Bolivian family genuinely cared about my well-being. Everyone knew what I needed without me asking for it. The kids in my house did not ask me to play. My abuela asked me how often I went to the bathroom and listened during the night on how often I used the bathroom. She gave me cinnamon tea to help my stomach. She made bland food so I could at least eat something. She told the kids in my house to be quiet when I took 2-3 hour naps. She called the doctor in our family to diagnose me. He gave me some medicine which broke my fever. He then gave me a list of things that I need to get done at the lab. After I received my lab tests, my tia arranged for me to go to his hospital so he could explain the test results. I had no idea what my results meant. He then gave me a prescription for Cipro which would take away all of my symptoms. All of these acts demonstrate that in community, we need each other. We rely on each other. Community is based on mutual giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment